Updated on June 22, 2023 |
January 5, 2023
Though football season will soon be drawing to a close, you can still bring the game to life with this exciting and simple DIY craft, made from pizza leftovers!
Grab some supplies, a leftover pizza box, and a friend or two, and you're ready to go!
What You'll Need
- 1-2 leftover Casey's Pizza boxes
- 3-4 plastic straws
- Scorecard (or notebook paper)
How to Build It
- The first step is the best one: eat pizza! Once you're done with dinner, take one or two empty pizza boxes and set them aside, along with the rest of the materials you'll need
- Open the pizza box lid and, using scissors, cut a small square out of the side of the box. Cut this square diagonally so you have two long triangles
- Take 2 straws and cut each in half. Tape together to create a goal post, as show in the video below
- Stick the straw into the opening of the pizza box
- If you created two, set next to each other, with the goalposts on both ends
- Time to play! Check below for rules
How to Play
- Download or print out our DIY Pizza Box Football Scorecard, or jot down a copy on a notepad. You'll play 10 rounds and need 2 players (or two teams).
- Take a minute to practice "kicking" the ball. To do so, place the football triangle so that one corner of the pizza box surface. Then, flick the other corner closest to you with your index finger.
- Flip a coin or play rock-paper-scissors to figure out which team will go first.
- For each round, each team will get up to two turns.
- On the first turn, flick the football triangle towards the field goal post from the other edge of the pizza box. If the football goes through the goal post on the first try, that team scores 6 points.
- If not, the team has one more turn, but they must flick the football from wherever it landed on turn 1. If the football goes through the goal post, that team scores 3 points. If not, that team scores 0 points, then it's the other team's turn.
- Repeat steps 5 & 6 for the other team. Then, repeat steps 5 & 6 for 9 more rounds, recording each team's scores on the scoreboard during the game.
- After round 10, tally up points for each team to determine the winner!
Get the score card
Fun Variations of DIY Pizza Box Football
Taco Chip Footballs
Was Taco Pizza on the menu tonight? Save a tortilla chip or two and try your best to flick them through the straw goal posts!
A Pick-up Game of 'HORSE'
Though it's typically a basketball game, the rules still apply.
Two people take turns flicking the football from one spot on the 'court' and the other has to get it from that same spot. When one player makes the point and one misses, the loser of that round gets an 'H', 'O', etc. The first person to spell out 'HORSE' loses.
DIY Obstacle Course
Set up an obstacle course with straws, cups, and other materials around your house, then attempt to flick the football through the goalpost without hitting any of the obstacles!
Subscribe for more fun!
Crafts, recipes, gift guides, and more fun – stay up to date on all things Casey's!